This member of the management team will have direct leadership responsibility for the construction business unit of the company. The VP of Construction will be responsible for the growth, construction operations, financial health and business practices of the construction business unit including the management of a team of construction and administrative professionals that are energized by the high growth of the company.
- Understand the construction market and how to capitalize on new business development opportunities using a creative and entrepreneurial approach.
- Develop and implement strategic business plans to maximize value of construction business unit.
- Develop and implement near and medium-term business plans for new projects, business expansions that are consistent with the construction business unit’s strategic plans and financial objectives.
- Identify and source opportunities to grow the company's business unit.
- Continuously discover ways and methodologies that efficiently disrupt the construction industry, create and implement these processes consistently
- Network with customers, architects, brokers, financial institutions and other leaders in our target markets.
- Create, maintain and enhance regional partnerships with general contractors, major subcontractors and key suppliers/vendors and key training facilities.
- Lead, supervise and evaluate Project Managers, Construction Managers, Superintendents, Construction Team Leads, Technicians and General Laborers and be ultimately responsible for a wide range of construction projects from start to finish.
- Plan all construction operations and ensure all projects are completed in accordance with the approved budget and schedule.
- Determine needed resources (man/womanpower, equipment and materials) from start to finish of projects and start to finish of administrative needs with special attention to financial returns
- Develop and maintain internal pre-construction advisory standards such that projects are “set up” to succeed.
- Evaluate progress of all operations and prepare detailed reports for organizational management
- Maintain active involvement in pricing and staffing decisions for all construction projects
- Assist Project Managers and Construction Managers in prioritizing critical project needs and be willing to step directly into individual projects as needed to ensure financial risk is properly managed and projects are completed on-time and on budget.
- Ensure uniform cost estimating and bidding processes across all projects
- Ensure that construction professionals are systematically considering critical path decisions and construction methods to maintain schedule, budget, safety and quality
- Manage the financial risk of the construction business through sound operational practices and astute estimation and legal contracting
- Manage the construction business unit’s annual budget and interim financial forecasting of active projects
- Develops methods for tracking the capital expenditures of the construction business unit.
- Provides tracking of the current and projected company and project specific budgets, project management purchases and upgrades, equipment purchases, training costs, travel costs, and other corporate expenditures
- Work closely with the Corporate Controller and other financial staff to ensure clear paths of data to meet all company reporting requirements
- Oversee a team of operations and compliance personnel to create, organize and oversee construction business unit procedures while remaining ultimately responsible for the safety and compliance of the construction business unit.
- Establish and implement necessary technological and traditional processes for essential operation efficiency
- Reinforce company policies, culture, values and work ethic to all employees and subcontractors
- Create, adapt and ensure robust safety protocols
- 10-15 years of proven commercial/residential construction project management experience
- A four-year college degree is required with major course work in construction, finance, engineering, business administration or a related field
Skills / Work Style:
- In-depth understanding of construction procedures and material and project management experience
- Familiarity with off-site and modular construction practices
- Full technical competence including proficiency with Microsoft Suite, particularly Microsoft Excel, and project management software
- Strong negotiating skills with a history of dealing with governmental authorities, consultants, general contractors and material suppliers
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills both in writing and verbally, as well as a collaborative and team-oriented work style and conflict resolution skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage and mentor a team of diverse professionals
- Strong leadership presence with excellent persuasion and influencing capabilities
- Proven ability to manage a number of projects and tasks at the same time, coordinate numerous activities and groups of people in order to achieve maximum efficiency
- Performance-oriented and motivated to achieving profit driven tasks within a teamwork environment
- A high focus on client satisfaction, always focusing on the quality of work being performed
- A strong understanding of financial practices and accounting policies related to construction